Tool tips ideas

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Fri Apr 3 20:13:28 CEST 2009

On Friday 03 April 2009, Emdek wrote:
> Hello
>
> I've idea regarding tool tips in Plasma.
> Currently we have some methods for them to set, like main and sub texts,
> image and windows to preview. It is enough for 90% of use cases, but there
> is sometimes need for something more than these properties. So I'm asking
> for possibility to add possibility to set own widget instead of current
> layout with labels. Of course if it is possible and doesn't create too much
> problems (for example when morphing contents of two tool tips when showing
> next when second was shown already). Now there are at least two applets
> that currently uses own tool tip implementations because they want to add
> some functionality to them (for example add more than one preview -
> recently added to SVN - and some actions). The drawback is that they must
> be managed by applets and there is no move and "morphing" animation (by the
> way, there could be option to disable it, not everybody likes it ;-)).

well, the subtitle can actually be html, so there can be a quite good level of
customization (look at the pager tooltip for instance)
for custom widgets i think that's really overkill, it adds quite some
complexity and error prone (to not talking about the style, since all widgets
added here should custom paint with the plasma style, since tooltips are
qwidgets, so no plasma widgets in here)

> I've one more idea, for tool tips in systray, but I don't think that it is
> really currently possible to do. For example I've in systray three
> applications, Opera, Pidgin and Amarok. Each of them has own tool tip. This
> is very inconsistent.
> I don't know if it is possible but maybe applications could register only
> text and image, maybe other resources and then systray would display them
> in way that makes them all consistent like other Plasma tool tips.

yes, as rob said we are trying to do just that with the new systray, but of
course that will be available only for apps that use the new spec, nothing we
can do for the others