playground applets

r.scheepmaker at student.utwente.nl r.scheepmaker at student.utwente.nl
Tue Sep 30 17:16:34 CEST 2008

-----Original Message-----
From: Jason Stubbs [mailto:jasonbstubbs at gmail.com]
Sent: Tue 9/30/2008 3:37 PM
To: plasma-devel at kde.org
Subject: Re: playground applets

Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> candidates for base 4.2
> =============
> systray-refactor - needs the plasmoid protocol finished out, but
> remove?
> ======
> extendified_notify - once we've got the systray-refactor down

I've merged extendified_notify into systray-refactor already.
QSystemTrayIcon::showMessage() should also work via the same mechanism
although I haven't tested it.

The remaining issues (that I know of) are:
* The correct icon isn't being set on notifications (internal API issue)
* The extender doesn't close after all notifications disappear (possible
   fix locally)
* Detached notifications don't close. (What to do about this?)

I think that is correct behavior. If the user detaches a notification, that kind of implies that the user is interested in this notification. It's not very kind to automatically close this notification in that case.

* Notifications aren't grouped by application. (Not critical but
   preferred)

The only way to do this nicely, is by having grouping support in extenders, and while I agree that we should have this feature, I don't think this is realistic for 4.2.

* Misbehavior of certain applets within the plasmoid protocol or
   vice-versa. (Still needs investigating)

I would like to add a point to this list: positioning of the extender is wrong on my system. Notifications are drawn part off screen and behind systray icons.

--
Jason Stubbs