tasks-refactor issues

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Tue Sep 23 18:44:47 CEST 2008

On Tuesday 23 September 2008, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> hi ...
>
> so i've been playing with tasks-refactor now for a bit and here's a list of
> issues i've come across:
>
> smaller things that can be fixed easier:

me too, so i'll just add my random impressions:

> some not-so-small things:
>
> * we're going to want to have a "only group when full" option in there
>
> * multiple rows are still missing
an ideal thing would be a QGraphicsFlowLayout, but well we don't have that :/
so i suppose it would be needed something that every time an item is
added/removed relayouts everything in a grid layout, sooo, something custom in
here? subclassing the grid layout? (ohnoes! own layouts again:)
but maybe i'm wrong, if tere is some more immediate visual clue maybe it's
just a matter of getting used (i love cycling in the group windows by clicking
on the collapsed item)

> * i'm getting a consistent crash-on-exit with program grouping is on
>

> but we have a biggers issue with the new widget than above, mostly to do
> with user interaction. here are the outstanding issues i see:
>

> * all grouping interaction is done via the context menu. this is a non-
> starter. there absolutely must be visual feedback on this, e.g. an arrow to
> expand collapsed groups
still think the old way with a submenu opened on click is more intuitive.
to be done or with an ugly qmenu or with a plasmaview that contains an
offscreen widget filled of windowtaskitems, perhapsit's a bit big for 4.2 btw

> * when a group is expanded, it becomes a cloud of little icons in about the
> same space as original button. the icons are not recognizable.
probably it's an issue of the sizehint of the taskgroupitem and should signal
to invalidate the master layout, like in some places exists already..

> * i had no clue how to trigger manual grouping
>

> so ... how to interact with grouped items ...
>
> expanding groups:
>
> * a single click on a collapsed group could expand it
i like the current behaviour of cycle on clicking
> * an expand arrow when clicked could could expand it
like it better
> * something else .. ?
>
> showing expanded groups:
>
> * we could do it like in kicker and show a popup with the grouped window
> inside that popup.
>
> * an expanded group could overlay other buttons, temporarily 'taking over'
> the tasks widget
>
> * an expanded group could push other buttons aside, giving the buttons
> inside as much room as buttons not in the group (making an
> all-groups-expanded taskbar as cluttered as the current bar)
an idea upon this option:
just allow a single expanded group at a time, when theer is one expanded all
the items not belonging to that will show just the icon, selecting one of them
the group collapses

> * something else .. ?
seems that the active window is not highlighted with the different background,
but probably it's a really small issue

oh, a side note:
now the current thing is the one in playground or in the branch?

Cheers,
Marco Martin