tasks-refactor issues

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Tue Sep 23 07:38:01 CEST 2008

hi ...

so i've been playing with tasks-refactor now for a bit and here's a list of
issues i've come across:

smaller things that can be fixed easier:

* the config dialog is .. well .. reversed =) the labels are on the right and
the controls on the left. the dialog must be reworked to be HIG compliant

* actions must not be named things like "Start/Stop grouping this program"
(e.g. in ProgramGroupingStrategy::strategyActions) but reflect the actual state
of the action

* ProgramGroupingStrategy::toggleGrouping shows we have some API issues in the
new libtaskmanager additions. from reading that method it is completely
unclear what the interplay between blackList, handleItem, closeGroup and add.
this must be sorted out either with proper commenting of the method (which is
anything but clear) or by fixing the code to read clearly (the preferred fix)

* defaults for the tasks widget: sorting by alpha and grouping my program
should be on. no sorting/grouping is a bit silly and manual management is not
something most users will crave (though it's awesome that the option is there)

some not-so-small things:

* we're going to want to have a "only group when full" option in there

* multiple rows are still missing

* i'm getting a consistent crash-on-exit with program grouping is on

but we have a biggers issue with the new widget than above, mostly to do with
user interaction. here are the outstanding issues i see:

* all grouping interaction is done via the context menu. this is a non-
starter. there absolutely must be visual feedback on this, e.g. an arrow to
expand collapsed groups

* when a group is expanded, it becomes a cloud of little icons in about the
same space as original button. the icons are not recognizable.

* i had no clue how to trigger manual grouping

so ... how to interact with grouped items ...

expanding groups:

* a single click on a collapsed group could expand it

* an expand arrow when clicked could could expand it

* something else .. ?

showing expanded groups:

* we could do it like in kicker and show a popup with the grouped window
inside that popup.

* an expanded group could overlay other buttons, temporarily 'taking over' the
tasks widget

* an expanded group could push other buttons aside, giving the buttons inside
as much room as buttons not in the group (making an all-groups-expanded
taskbar as cluttered as the current bar)

* something else .. ?

humru othro a kohnu se