Weather plasmoid development

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Wed Sep 17 14:59:02 CEST 2008

On Wednesday 17 September 2008 14:00:18 Marco Martin wrote:
> > For the plasma developers: the widget essentially pulls its data from
> > weather.yahoo.com. I hope that is not a problem? It's not really in line
> > with the OSS spirit, but the widget in KDE 3 did more or less the same.
> > Also, I wouldn't really know where else to get the data from.
>
> it's a new dataengine? (hope the data fetching isn't directly into the
> applet:)
> btw the problem is not much if it's in line of the oss spirit, there are
> already applets that pull data from commercial services like twitter.
> the problem is if yahoo terms of use permits to do so, often they are sooo
> unclear that is even difficult to know if we are allowed (that's why there
> aren't engines that pulls data from weather.com for instance)

In the weather dataengine in kdebase, there are already "ions" (weather
sources) for NOAA, Environment Canada and BBC UK, wouldn't it be easiest to
add an ion for yahoo.com over there? This way, other applets can also use this
source.

As has already been pointed out that there is a weather applet in development,
maybe joining efforts would be good?
--
sebas