power management settings mockup

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Fri Sep 12 18:35:37 CEST 2008

On Friday 12 September 2008 17:21:46 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Friday 12 September 2008, Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> > (*2) There's an 'inhibit suspend' action in the powermanagement FDO dbus
> > spec which prevents the system from suspending after a certain idle time,
> > that's useful when you're doing a presentation or watching a movie and
> > you don't want to have your system switching off. Some apps will
> > implement this themselves (imagine dragonplayer or kpresenter calling
> > inhibit suspend through dbus when in fullscreen mode).
>
> this needs to be added to KPresentationControls then. do you have some code
> i can look at?

Hm, now you mention it ... dunno where it is. It should probably be in the
Solid powermanagement classes (not sure if it's in there already, or if we
need to poke Kevin :). It's in the FDO powermanagement API, at least.

> > You've made it until here, you've earned a screenshot :-) I've also
> > attached the ui file I used for your futzing.
>
> comments on the UI:
>
> * "Inhibit suspend after idle time" is pretty complex. how about reversing
> the logic with "Suspend automatically when idle"?

As I said, the inhibit is temporary. The "Suspend automatically" sounds like a
permanent setting to me. Maybe "Do not suspend automatically" (overriding the
suspend on idle, but *not* overriding the suspend on battery critical. So not
sure what level of detail we want to expose the user to, it'll need good
tooltip or whatsthis in any case.

Change your mind at will ... ;-)

> * Current Brightness should be "Screen Brightness" imo, and the label
> should be next to the slider.
>
> * Battery Charge Level could just be Battery (it's obviously what it means
> =) and should be to the left of the progress bar
>
> * System Performance Profile could just be Performance Profile

3 x OK.

> * the progress bar for performance needs a label, which should be to the
> left of it

That'll go away, see reply to seele.

> * the progress bars should appear at the top of the dialog together with a
> heading of "Status" perhaps, with the settings below that with a headng of
> "Settings"?
>
> * all labels should be right aligned, and widgets left align, ala the HIG

ok

> if you want help doing this, let me know. i don't want to steal your fun
> for no reason though ;)

Nice :) It's only a mockup. I want to implement it with the Plasma::Widgets.
We'll be up for another round anyway. It'll take a couple of days until I can
show some code, you're welcome to help with polishing then -- share the fun ;)

Thanks for the input.
--
sebas