QuickSand, an alternative interface

Ryan P. Bitanga ryan.bitanga at gmail.com
Fri Sep 12 07:06:31 CEST 2008

2008/9/11 Aaron J. Seigo <aseigo at kde.org>:
> On Wednesday 10 September 2008, Ryan P. Bitanga wrote:
>> It's still experimental, and some things don't work (like the
>> configuration dialog) but it should provide a slightly different
>> experience from the current interface as well as a more familiar one
>> to QuickSilver users.
>
> screenshots or a screencast perhaps?
>
> also ..... given that it uses all the same infrastructure, but just a different
> UI, have you thought at all about providing this as a configuration possibility
> in krunner? i'm a *little* hesitant to put two different UIs in there for fear
> of bit rot ... but ... i think it might make sense?

I agree it does make sense and having it together with the krunner
sources removes the need to have my own copy of krunnerdialog. But it
can only be merged after we fix multiple action support in libplasma.
I'm working on it (I changed how QueryAction behaves now, it registers
and unregisters itself upon creation) but I'm kinda busy right now so
I won't have anything new to show until next week.

> remember that krunner provides a number of additional services to the user, so
> replacing krunner's process with quicksand (or any other app) isn't really
> plausible ...

Yes I know. QuickSand is a separate process and can currently run at
the same time as krunner.