Review Request: [MOCKUP] Clock: remove "Use local time zone"

Hans Chen hanswchen at gmail.com
Thu Sep 11 11:43:48 CEST 2008

2008/9/11 Sebastian Kügler <sebas at kde.org>

> On Wednesday 10 September 2008 23:12:30 Celeste Lyn Paul wrote:
> > Checkboxes are much easier and intuitive for making multiple selections
> > than the current selection method.  As it is, theres no way to know you
> can
> > make multiple selections.  Checkboxes provide that "multi" affordance.
>
> There are quite a lot of timezones (both in the "available" list, and
> possibly
> in the "default" list. I can imagine checkboxes next to the KTimeZoneWidget
> (the central one listing all timezones), but it would look odd to my (in my
> imagination, of course).

Personally I don't think checkboxes in a list look too odd, see
iTunes<http://www.bbspot.com/Images/News_Features/2003/12/itunes_jukebox_large.jpg>for
example. I agree with Celeste that it's more intuitive to use
checkboxes. But that doesn't belong to this topic, so I won't discuss it
further.

As for the combobox, my first thought when I saw the picture was to put it
on top. However, I see a problem with this approach: it feels reversed
somehow. I think there is  a high possibility that users fail to see the
connection "Select a timezone in KTimeZoneWidget" -> "Another item pops up
in combobox". This is much clearer in the first picture in my opinion (first
select the desired timezones, then choose the default one).

With that said, I still agree with Aaron's argument.