QuickLaunching : some ideas to improve user experience

Michael Rudolph michael.rudolph at gmail.com
Sat Sep 6 16:26:14 CEST 2008

On Sat, Sep 6, 2008 at 1:32 PM, Loïc Marteau <loic.marteau at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey all !
>
> I was thinking about how to improve user experience about QuickLaunching
> in kde.
>
> As a user I have already fill a bug report about that at the start of
> the year.
>
> Now, thanks to Aaron, we have panel auto-hiding and i ask me if we can't
> just use that to build a dedicated quickLaunch bar.
>
> The idea is to provide what kickoff does, whitout the need to reach
> kickoff and click on it.
>
> We can have a auto hide-panel (on the left or on the right depending of
> what is the easiliest reachable for the user) and put on it :
> - favorites apps grouped (should perhaps be a plasmoid itself)
> - recently used apps and doc grouped (should perhaps be a plasmoid itself)
> - for an equivalent to tab apps we can perhaps add a light old fashion
> kde start menu ?!
> - for an equivalent to the leave tab we can add a dedicated popupApplet
> Based Plasmoid  that  show a dialog with all the action the user can do
> (shutdown, leave, hibernate, etc)
> - Same thing for the computer tab
> - for the search stuff, perhaps the idea is just to put a krunner inside
> a popupapplet
> - if the user want quick access to the files in some particular
> directories (download dir for example) he can add perhaps a "folder
> view" plasmoid based on popupApplet too.
>
> For discoverabilty purpose perhaps we need that auto hide panel are
> showed the first seconds than plasma start ?!
>
> Before starting to work on this, i would like to know if you think that
> this could be relevant.
>
> Chears
>
> Lo

Hi Loïc,

I hope that most of this will soon be very irrelevant, but this is not
the comment I wanted to make. I actually rather prefer to give
encouraging feedback.

I'm not really up to date with Lancelot, but from what I remember from
Ivan's blog postings, I think much of what you want to do is already
possible with Lacelot and Lancelot parts.

Perhaps Ivan can shed some more light on this.

I hope that helps.

michael