New Mandelbrot wallpaper in playground, triggers some bugs

Benoit Jacob jacob.benoit.1 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 5 05:51:16 CEST 2008

2008/9/5 Aaron J. Seigo <aseigo at kde.org>:
> woo hoo! the best part of this is that you manage to find all the annoying
> little bugs that hadn't been rooted out yet. thanks for that alone!

You're welcome... thanks for making this framework in the first place :)

>> 2) In the "desktop settings" dialog, the little preview isn't getting
>> mouse events.
>
> to be expected: we don't pass them on (it's not being drawn in a containment,
> but in a regular QWidget) ... do we really need (or want?) mouse interaction
> there?

If it's only a few lines of code, and if it does not cause any kind of
trouble, then I'd say yes: it's a nice toy, and allows the user to
evaluate the plugin before switching his desktop to it.

Benoit

P.S. I checked the size of the .so when compiled without debug info,
to get an idea of memory usage: 44K. Then essentially the only data is
the image itself, so, this live-wallpaper essentially doesn't consume
more memory than a plain wallpaper. Unless you added subtlety to not
always keep whole wallpaper images in memory, I haven't checked :) In
fact i could still reduce memory usage by x4 by storing a 1-channel
image (since the gradient is monochrome) but then i don't know if Qt
makes that easy to draw.