Patch: New KRunner searches context of Dolphin Places Panel

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Thu Sep 4 23:50:21 CEST 2008

On Thursday 04 September 2008, David Edmundson wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> This krunner adds all the bookmarks and devices that you would expect to
> find in the dolphin Places panel, or the "computer" tab in the application
> launcher to the krunner list. See code attached.
>
> I had some pointers from Sebastian Kűgler, so I should thank him in this
> email.
>
> It's my first time submitting anything plasma related, so I've probably
> missed out some parts of your coding standard. Feel free to point out
> mistakes or fix it :-)

m_filePlaces = new KFilePlacesModel();

this gets leaked; you probably want to do:

m_filePlaces = new KFilePlacesModel(this);

so that it gets automatically deleted when the runner does.

the object name doesn't actually need to be translated anymore, so this:

    setObjectName(i18n("Places"));

becomes just:

    setObjectName("Places");

and you can get rid of:

    KGlobal::locale()->insertCatalog("krunner_placesrunner");

as there are no more translated strings left =)

it would be good to show an error, perhaps via KMessageBox, when setup fails
in setupComplete; silent failures suck for the user.

otherwise it looks good.

if you'd like to add this to kdeplasma-addons you may; if you (or someone else
suggests) that we add this to kdebase, then we'll want to clean up the
whitespace in places (kdeplasma-addons is more relaxed; in kdebase we stick to
the coding style guide as much as humanly possible).

personally i think this belongs in kdebase given how key the places model has
become (file dialog, dolphin, kickoff, gwenview, etc)

humru othro a kohnu se