Introducing myself (and maybe the team as well)

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Wed Sep 3 15:36:41 CEST 2008

Hi Arthur,

On Wednesday 03 September 2008 14:03:33 Artur Souza (MoRpHeUz) wrote:
> 2008/9/2 Sebastian Kügler <sebas at kde.org>:
> > In Plasma, we have a couple of widget classes (Plasma::Label,
> > Plasma::Button, Plasma::Slider, ...) that are currently restyled versions
> > of QWidgets, loaded as proxy widgets. We could also use these wrapper
> > classes and present them with the same API to the applets. With some sort
> > of switch (config?, compile- time?) we'll have the applets use the qedje
> > widgets instead (and with them their interaction models that are
> > optimized for a certain set of input devices).
>
>   Hmmm...interesting idea.....
>
> > One could also thing of offering widgets styles through gethotnewstuff
> > (an installer for addons), putting the .edj files in themes (and adding
> > them to the plasmagik packaging tool).
>
>   Aaron has already talked about this with me. He explained that it
> would be good to have an AppletScript, so we can do stuff just like
> you said.

Cool, I'll follow your commits and will try to keep up with them for the
Plasma mid_control applet. I've also implemented support for plasmoids in the
systemtray. We're trying to avoid using the FDO systray specification that we
use on the desktop right now and provide the functionality needed there
through plasmoids. The systray is very brittle, especially when dealing with
ARGB visuals, different toolkits and drivers. The refactored systray that's
currently in playground and will be in KDE 4.2, can still be used as a
container, but we'll make it not load the FDO systray, but a set of plasmoids
that provide this functionality in a much nicer way. Instead of popup menus we
can then offer UI elements to control various aspects (a bit like it's right
now). That's where I would like to use qedje widgets for easier interaction w/
using the fingers.

There's also the new powerdevil app in kdereview currently that provides a
daemon module for kded we can use to control powermanagement aspects of the
system. This module has all the policy handling, so we don't need to implement
that. We can just put a UI on top of it (again, popupapplet w/ qedje UI
elements) that exposes the features we want to see and set the rest to
sensible defaults. Powerdevil uses Solid, so it should work on Maemo as well
(I've seen the battery applet working, at least, so I guess we'll be OK).

> > Two days earlier, the trolltech qgraphicsview guys have shown some nice
> > performance improvements in QGV's clipping mechanics, maybe that'll help
> > improving the performance further.
>
>   Yes, we are working really close (not physically close, just
> remotely close =P ) with trolltech guys about this benchmark stuff. Do
> you remember that Andreas talked about some people who gave some
> benchmarks to them ? /me waves =)

Exactly what I was hoping for :-)

>   The good point is that we're sharing some results and probably we'll
> have improvements not only on desktop but on the device as well
> (n8x0).

Looking forward to see plasma flying on maemo :-)
--
sebas