Semantics of zoming out with multiple monitors

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Thu Oct 16 20:07:14 CEST 2008

On Thursday 16 October 2008, Guillaume Pothier wrote:
> 2008/10/16 Aaron J. Seigo <aseigo at kde.org>:
> > there is no such thing as "activities associated with screen N"; it's
> > just a collection of activities. at any given time there is at most one
> > activity that is associated with a screen, but that's a bookkeeping issue
> > and little else.
>
> Ok. But containments have the screens they were displayed on. When you
> have two monitors with different resolutions, when you zoom out you
> see large containments and small ones.

yes, containments can be different sizes. that also doesnt matter.

> > if anything, we should just drop the containment association completely
> > when zoomed out and at most we should mark as unavailable containments on
> > other screens.
>
> What do you mean by "containment association"?

containments can be associated with a given screen and a given virtual
desktop.

a view can be associated with a containment.

the best solution (without lots of explanations, sorry) will be to simply make
all DesktopViews have the same zoom level; zooming out in one should zoom out
in all, zooming in on one shoudl zoom in on all. picking an activity when
zoomed out should only interact with the View that the event came from.

so we probably want to put the actual zoom in/out control in PlasmaApp, which
owns the DesktopViews and have it set all the zoom levels globally.

humru othro a kohnu se