Plasma::Svg and performance

Jamboarder jamboarder at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 15 17:58:51 CEST 2008

> From: Aaron J. Seigo <aseigo at kde.org>
> one outstanding issue will be clearing the disk and parameter caches when the
> theme is updated on disk but not changed in the config.
>
> before i go any further with this approach: any thoughts, ideas, inspirations?

It might be useful in general to scope out all the "persistent stores" of SVG related information and when they need to be cleared/refreshed. As far as I can tell, these "stores" currently include:
- Plasma::Svg QPixmapCache
- Plasma::Svg renderers (the shared svg renderer hash)
- Plasma::PanelSvg QPixmapCache
- this new Plasma::Svg cache(s) for the hint and element parameters.
Are there others?

The events that trigger a clear/refresh include:
themeChanged (if the theme image path is different)
colorsChanged (for svgs that have the apply colors hint)
setImagePath (if the path is different that the current one)

Should a clear/refresh be triggered if the path hasn't changed but the actual file has?
Are there other events that should trigger a refresh?
Is it worth consolidating the clearing/refresh of these "persistent stores" in one place (at least for Plasma:Svg)?

Hope this is helpful,
Andrew (Jamboarder) Lake