Review Request: zoomed out toolbox outside of containments

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Sun Nov 30 18:10:05 CET 2008

On Saturday 29 November 2008, Marco Martin wrote:
> edit: another problem: toolbox is too wide for smaller screen resolutions,
> in that screenshot a 1680 screen is almost filled with toolbox width so
> what to do? trying to manually layout the tools in two lines disabling text
> when it's too wide or trying to put the toolbox on the right? (would be
> really an huge gap between the left and right containments :/)

i can think of a couple solutions:

* only show the useful actions there; e.g. we don't need zoom out on every
containment, right? in fact, as we don't have a useful different (besides size)
between the two zoomed out levels, for now we could just not show zoom out
when we're already zoomed out. lock widgets probably isn't necesary either.
that would just leave add widgets, add activity, and settings.

* add activity is, like zoom out and lock widgets global to the canvas. i'm
not exactly how to do this (visually) yet, but a global toolbox when zoomed
out that has these canvas-global options on it would make sense.

* use icons only or icon+iconText()? we use a plus for buth Add Widgts and Add
Activity, though. a global options box would solve this, but it could at least
be shortened in the immediate by "+ Widgets" "+ Activity" where the + is the
icon. the settings could certainly be icon-only (so no iconText()). icon's
only with tooltips (or icon text that only shows on hover?) for them would
make these more like our widget handles (though not exact, and that's ok) and
allow them to fit nice and compact.

* remove activity is missing there still. that could, fairly easily, be just
an icon though as we do for widgets.

it's looking good though and this particular patch is a very nice improvement
already.

humru othro a kohnu se