Systray Notifications

Matthias Fuchs mat69 at gmx.net
Sat Nov 29 13:55:15 CET 2008

Hi,

First I know that the systray notifications are very new.

Second I have some problems with them ;) [1]:

*When logging in some messages telling me that the Ktorrent logs are copied
somewhere pop up --> annoying

*When clicking an image in a folderview I get _two_ notifications with the
note "Examining" and _one_ "Transfering" --> so three notifications

*When clicking a text file in a folderview I get two notifications
("Examining" and "Copying"), saving the text gets me another notification
("Moving")

I think that in this case the the examing, copying/moving notifications should
be hidden from the user as they should not need to know what is happening
behind the surface.

*If you configure Kopete that a window should pop up in certain situations
they are not grouped eg I get a message from XY "Hi" --> one notification,
then "How are you" --> another notification while the original is still there
and so on. I know that is basically the same way it worked like in KDE3 and
KDE 4.1 (right?), yet there the "windows" were not that large.

I think that these notifications should be merged if there would be shown more
than one of the exact same type. Like if the "Hi" notification is still there
the "How are you" should be shown in this notification under "Hi" and the
notification should flash once -- or whatever to show that there is a change.
Yet the "Hi" and the "How are you" text should disappear the time the seperate
notifications would disappear. And if there would be too much (like 100 lines
;) ) text the oldest text should be dropped.
What would be too much should be imo checked by how much space is left.

*The desktop is in some cases (going to elaborate that later with an example)
not useable anymore than there are more notifications than place for them -->
this can be a big problem for lower resolutions

Cheers!

[1] everything tested with Beta 1, I had not time to compile everything

PS.: Keep on the good work, KDE 4.2 is really shapeing up nicely! :)