Congratulations and some ideas

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Sat Nov 29 12:54:55 CET 2008

On Saturday 29 November 2008, Dong Tiger wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I see KDE4.2 beta1 is warmly welcomed by community. I have used KDE4.2 all
> the time for a few months. I have to say it's getting greater and greater.
> Congratulations to all people here:)
>
> I have a few ideas that I would like to have (Maybe in KDE4.3).
>
> First is that applications can be minimized to applets. When applications
> can be minimized to system tray, we feel it's convenient because we can do
> something useful through the tray icon. Now we have plasma, if applications
> can be minimized to an applet,  we will be able to do much more things on
> it. Isn't it great? Take amarok as an example, when it is minimized, an
> applet is shown on desktop, showing information of current track, and
> buttons of "play", "stop", "next".

yeah, there is definitely a tencency in this direction, like kget and ktorrent
:)

> Second is about the task manager(the task bar). When mouse hovers on a task
> in task bar, a window will pop up and show the thumbnail of the task's
> window. That's great. But we can put it further. How about letting
> applications to decide what to be shown on the popup window? Still take
> amarok as an example, we can show the applet describe above in the popup
> window and user can interact with it.

this would mean something like a standard dbus interface with a well known and
prevedible structure. feasible to make everyone agree? hmm dunno
maybe all these two points can be somewhat addressed with a new systemtray
specification? (something that doesn't necessary have to do with "put icons in
lower right corner", but more a provide some actions, then it's up to plasma
to decide how to display them :))

> Third is about kwin. "Present windows" is the most used function for me. I
> want to be able to choose multiple windows in the "present windows" mode
> and then all the selected windows can be nicely arranged on the desktop. It
> will be very useful when you have to keep multiple windows side by side.
>
> That's it.
>
> Btw: tomorrow I'll fix a few bugs in Google gadgets on Plasma. Meanwhile,
> please try it out. We do have a few lovely gadgets for you:)
tried it out and i like it, but i have a little whining already eheh :)

an issue i noted with googlegadgets is that moving them from the applet (not
from the handle) when the applet is rotated moves the applet not taking into
account the transformation

all i tracked down is somewhere in
void PlasmaViewHost::Private::onViewMoved(int x, int y) {
info->applet->moveBy(x, y);
should take transformations into account (but  info->applet doesn't seem a
pointer to the plasma applet right? because it always have an identity
transfrorm)

Cheers,
Marco Martin