JOLIE and Plasma: status and discussion

Fabrizio Montesi famontesi at gmail.com
Mon Nov 24 20:57:00 CET 2008

On Saturday 22 November 2008 02:49:57 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> use case: widget wants to publish it's own service onto the network
>
> * it takes a Plasma::Service and, again with a one liner and no jargon it
> pushes the service by a name passed in; this would get automatically set up
> using SODEP to the local MetaService and the service's published name
> namspaced using the ID of the applet.
service->publish();

Hooray!

> use case: a widget wants to relocate devices
>
> * it publishes a service
> * another device subscribes to that service, asks for the widget to come
> over
> * authentication of the request (perhaps user OK?) happens
Perhaps something like "Allow this time" and "Allow always for this client
host/user combination"?
> * the service sends across a Plasma::Package and forwards the engines and
> services the Widget currently holds
IMO we need a standard plasma service to do this job. Something like a
RelocationService perhaps?

> use case: widget wants to use a service exposed by another Plasma system
>
> * it scans the network for an announcer service
KDDNSD looks good for handling this.
> * it selects a service from it
As we chatted about in IRC, we can use a .desktop file. =)
> * this results in an auth request on the other Plasma system
I propose "Allow this time" and "Allow always for this client host/user
combination" here, too.
> * on approval, the service is set up on both sides
We need to figure out the API for the discovery. The discovery should give us a
Service::Location uri as a result. After that, we can use Service::access and
implement the user interaction inside there.
If everything goes well, then we need some kind of security token and we just
make an addRedirection in our local metaservice to the other published
service.