Review Request: Bug with Plasma::Delegate text painter

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Wed Nov 19 18:38:07 CET 2008

On Wednesday 19 November 2008, Jesse L. Zamora wrote:
> On Wednesday 19 November 2008 11:17:28 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > On Wednesday 19 November 2008, Jesse Zamora wrote:
> > > EDIT: I am noticing that on the items with the gradient, it really
> > > starts to slow down. Any suggestions?
> >
> > arg. once again, reviewboard is not showing me your patch. sorry, can you
> > forward it on here? and what do you mean by "starts to slow down"
> > precisely?
>
> Well, on the items that have the gradient (i.e., the items that are too
> long and have a gradient to make them look better), the painting slows WAY
> WAY down.........I don't know how I could make it not be so slow! :-(

ah, painting text with a gradient ... yeah... not exactly fast. iirc when
that's done then everything is converted to paths and then filled with the
gradient in software ... iow.. not swiftly.

currently what we usually do is to paint the text into a pixmap of the correct
size (option.rect in this case?) and then wash over it with a gradient to fade
it out at the end using the appropriate CompositionMode ... then paint that
pixmap in.

it should be faster... =)

humru othro a kohnu se