KDE 4.2 Toolbars

Florian florianmerz at gmx.de
Fri Nov 14 21:43:41 CET 2008

Am Donnerstag 13 November 2008 21:08:00 schrieb Maciej Pilichowski:
> > Florian:

> > > and waste (even more precious ;-) ) horizontal space.
> >
> > Is it possible to enable the text for each icon individually? If
> > this is possible one could iterate over all icons from left to
> > right and calculate for each icon if the text can be displayed for
> > this icon without having to hide another icon completely. If it is
> > possible the text will be displayed, otherwise the icon will be
> > displayed without text.
>
> This would lead to over-smart app, and I am in general against such
> app, because it tries hard to anticipate what is best for user and it
> is close to just randomly choosing (we don't know what are the user
> wishes).
Right  now, if there is not enough space, the application hides all icons
starting with the rightmost one. With my proposal, the application hides the
text of the icons, starting with the rightmost one. Only if that is not enough
will it start to hide the icons themselves. I don't think that behaviour is
less predictable than the current behaviour.

The difference lies mainly in the priorities: The current design rather hides
some icons than hiding the text of a displayed icon. My proposed design
prefers to hide the text for an icon rather than hiding a complete icon.

> It would be also an overkill with implementing it and explaining the
> internal logic.
>
> Much simpler solution is putting (by user)
> [       A toolbar     ] [ B toolbar ]
> next to each other, where A toolbar has icons + text, and B has only
> icons.
>
> Simple design, app follows strictly users wish, no "smart" code, even
> more capabilities.
This layout would be optimized for a single resolution. With all other
resultions this will either waste space or it will not be possible to display
all icons.
The design which I proposed at least tries to make good use of the available
space.

Interestingly, to fill out the available space optimally we would need to
write an algorithm to solve the knapsack problem. Now _that_ would certainly
be overkill :-)