KDE4 slow on thinclients (video)

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Thu Nov 6 19:55:04 CET 2008

On Thursday 06 November 2008, Martin Vogt wrote:
> http://rapidshare.de/files/40849668/kde4_slow_remotex11.ogv.html

can't get to it. upload it to youtube or a proper website somewhere. though i
don't think i actually need to see it..

> Usually between a click and the response there are 3-4 seconds
> until something happens.

this is exactly what we were seeing on certain systems with the binary NVidia
drivers and it went away as soon as they switched to the open source driver.

the last time you posted about this problem, i asked you what graphics card(s)
and driver(s) were in use on that system and it seems you didn't reply back.
please help us help you by keeping the communication going.

> (Thinclients are a very common setup for linux in universities, for
> example. KDE 3.5.x was very fast on thinclients, KDE 4 is
> not usable in this setup.)

and this blog:

	http://hemswell.lincoln.ac.uk/~padams/index.php?entry=entry081104-205609

says otherwise.

so it's not a matter of "KDE4 is not useable in a [thin client] setup" it's
that it's not usable in the configuration you are using. until you help me
understand what that configuration is, i can't help you any further.

in the meantime, it's useful to get it straight and realize that this is not
universal to all thin client set ups so that we don't go chasing the wrong
things and thereby waste time.

> I can debug some things, but currently have no idea where to start.
> When I look at the "top" console of the thinclient (the lower console
> in the video)
> I notice that on a right click on the desktop the X11 server on the
> thinclient has
> 99% load for some seconds.(!)
>
> Somewhere is a major bottleneck.

yes, X. the question is why, and i'd like to start with the driver before
exploring further inside of plasma itself.

humru othro a kohnu se