Extender api review, round 2

Alex Merry huntedhacker at tiscali.co.uk
Thu Jul 31 02:02:54 CEST 2008

On Thursday 31 July 2008 00:28:06 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> * Extender now has no explicit ownership

It's the ownership thing that puzzled me in the first place.  But I can live
with the API as it stands.  It just doesn't necessarily feel completely
natural to me.

> > I'm afraid I'm coming at this without a clear idea of the concepts around
> > extenders, except that they allow users to pull parts of applets away
> > from the main widget.
>
> the point is to allow aditional, usually either transient or more detailed,
> items to be shown as an extension to an applet. those items are detachable
> and mixable.
>
> examples might be notifications in a notifier or calendar information in a
> clock.

Yes, that's as far as my knowledge of extenders went before I jumped into this
thread.  It's the details, such as how the lifetime of extensions is related
to the lifetime of the applet, that I wasn't clear about.

Alex

--
KDE: http://www.kde.org
Ubuntu/Kubuntu: http://www.ubuntu.org http://www.kubuntu.org