libplasma in 4.2: binary compatibility and moving to kdelibs

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Tue Jul 29 18:59:06 CEST 2008

hi all...

so 4.2 is here and the Big Questions come with it:

Binary Compatibility
============
 should we break binary compatibility one last time? if so that means we can:

	* do one more API review (though it won't be nearly as drastic as the one in
4.1)
	* add some of the new features that are coming in 4.2 in a more natural way.

and example of "more natural" is having a virtual initExtenderItem in Applet;
that's a binary incompatible change, and the alternative is to put it in
Extender (a new class) and make people subclass that. however, it would be
less comfortable that, imho.

Where Does It Live?

moving libplasma into kdelibs was a goal we stated for 4.2 back when figuring
out what 4.1 would be. i'd like to see this happen still as it would allow
more applications to use libplasma in more interesting ways.

the Package* classes may want to move into khotnewstuff ... that's something
we'd need to examine.

ConfigXml really ought to be in libkdeui alongside KConfigSkeleton imho. (kdeui
because it uses QColor; perhaps we could manage to shove it into kdecore using
QVariant cleverly? hm.)

humru othro a kohnu se