After KDE 4.1 release: GHNS and other issues

Richard Dale richard.j.dale at gmail.com
Wed Jul 30 19:47:51 CEST 2008

On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 5:12 PM, Frank Karlitschek <karlitschek at kde.org>wrote:

> On 30.07.2008, at 16:27, Daniel Winter wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >

> Hi,
>
> > first thank you all for your impressive work the last months.
> >
> > After the 4.1 release I read a lot of reviews on differrent english
> > and german
> > websites. As you propably already knows: Most of them are really
> > positive
> > about plasma.
> >
> > But I also read a lot of reader comments to the reviews. And was the
> > first
> > hours after release arround in #kde to answer questions of new kde
> > 4(.1)
> > users.
> >
> > Most of the questions are plasma releated:
> >
> > 1. A lot of users have problems to figure out all config features.
> > (move applets
> > seam to be a problem for a lot of users, I even read two
> > professional reviews
> > where the author was not happy because he couldn't move applets).
> >
> > And some didn't even find a way to resize the panel. lock/unlock is
> > also not
> > easy to understand if you are not used to it.
> >
> > I know you are aware of this issues and a welcome applet is planed
> > which
> > explains such things to new users.
> >
> > What about some quick solution for 4.1.1? A short (about 2 minutes)
> > video on
> > the desktop which shows resizing and moving? Or Konqueror opens a
> > local html
> > on the first start which some static html page with some screenshots
> > with a
> > short text which shows moving, resizing, locking unlocking...  I
> > think that
> > could hlep users to find out about that features.
> >
> > 2. GHNS:
> >
> > That is an other very common questions in comment posts to reviews or
> > yesterday in #kde.
> >
> > "I tried to install a applet with the "get new applets from internet"
> > function. It says installed but I can not find it"
> >
> > I know you are aware of this problem. But this not working downalods
> > which are
> > saying installed anyway make a bad first impression. It shows all
> > this nice
> > applets, you try to install them and it just doesn't work.
> >
> > Would it be possible to get in contact with the kde-apps.org people
> > and work
> > togethter with them to remove those non working binary/c++ source
> > applets from the ghns "feed" for install applets?
>

> I´m runnng KDE-Apps.org.
> The problem is that nearly ever plasmoid on KDE-Apps is a C++
> plasmoid. So downloading via GHNS doesn´t work, of course.
>
> We need stable bindings for scripting languages and a review system
> for the plasmoids first.
>
> I would like to discuss and work on the system at akademy.

I'll be at Akademy, and I'm very keen to help get the Ruby and C# Plasma
bindings working with GHNS as plasmoid packages. I think they are pretty
close to being stable and fully working, but need more documentation and
examples. And the uploader app needs to be working too.

A .desktop version seems to have been introduced recently and I've no idea
what versions script engines or plasma package .desktop files are supposed
to have.

-- Richard