After KDE 4.1 release: GHNS and other issues

Frank Karlitschek karlitschek at kde.org
Wed Jul 30 18:12:49 CEST 2008

On 30.07.2008, at 16:27, Daniel Winter wrote:

> Hello,

Hi,

> first thank you all for your impressive work the last months.
>
> After the 4.1 release I read a lot of reviews on differrent english
> and german
> websites. As you propably already knows: Most of them are really
> positive
> about plasma.
>
> But I also read a lot of reader comments to the reviews. And was the
> first
> hours after release arround in #kde to answer questions of new kde
> 4(.1)
> users.
>
> Most of the questions are plasma releated:
>
> 1. A lot of users have problems to figure out all config features.
> (move applets
> seam to be a problem for a lot of users, I even read two
> professional reviews
> where the author was not happy because he couldn't move applets).
>
> And some didn't even find a way to resize the panel. lock/unlock is
> also not
> easy to understand if you are not used to it.
>
> I know you are aware of this issues and a welcome applet is planed
> which
> explains such things to new users.
>
> What about some quick solution for 4.1.1? A short (about 2 minutes)
> video on
> the desktop which shows resizing and moving? Or Konqueror opens a
> local html
> on the first start which some static html page with some screenshots
> with a
> short text which shows moving, resizing, locking unlocking...  I
> think that
> could hlep users to find out about that features.
>
> 2. GHNS:
>
> That is an other very common questions in comment posts to reviews or
> yesterday in #kde.
>
> "I tried to install a applet with the "get new applets from internet"
> function. It says installed but I can not find it"
>
> I know you are aware of this problem. But this not working downalods
> which are
> saying installed anyway make a bad first impression. It shows all
> this nice
> applets, you try to install them and it just doesn't work.
>
> Would it be possible to get in contact with the kde-apps.org people
> and work
> togethter with them to remove those non working binary/c++ source
> applets from the ghns "feed" for install applets?

I´m runnng KDE-Apps.org.
The problem is that nearly ever plasmoid on KDE-Apps is a C++
plasmoid. So downloading via GHNS doesn´t work, of course.

We need stable bindings for scripting languages and a review system
for the plasmoids first.

I would like to discuss and work on the system at akademy.

I suggest to disable the "get new applets from internet" function for
now.

> Answering the users: "Well that feature doesn't work yet,  go to kde-
> apps.org
> download the source there, compile it and install it on your own and
> don'T
> forget to run kbuildsyscoca4  or look out for packages for your
> distro for
> theses applets" is no real fun and is somehow a disappointement to
> those
> users.

true

> Will there be a fix in the timeframe of kde 4.1 if not it may be the
> best to
> disable that feature for 4.1.1?

I vote for disabling the function till it works.

> Just a few thoughts

Cheers
Frank