After KDE 4.1 release: GHNS and other issues

Daniel Winter dw at danielwinter.de
Wed Jul 30 16:27:24 CEST 2008

Hello,

first thank you all for your impressive work the last months.

After the 4.1 release I read a lot of reviews on differrent english and german
websites. As you propably already knows: Most of them are really positive
about plasma.

But I also read a lot of reader comments to the reviews. And was the first
hours after release arround in #kde to answer questions of new kde 4(.1)
users.

Most of the questions are plasma releated:

1. A lot of users have problems to figure out all config features. (move applets
seam to be a problem for a lot of users, I even read two professional reviews
where the author was not happy because he couldn't move applets).

And some didn't even find a way to resize the panel. lock/unlock is also not
easy to understand if you are not used to it.

I know you are aware of this issues and a welcome applet is planed which
explains such things to new users.

What about some quick solution for 4.1.1? A short (about 2 minutes) video on
the desktop which shows resizing and moving? Or Konqueror opens a local html
on the first start which some static html page with some screenshots with a
short text which shows moving, resizing, locking unlocking...  I think that
could hlep users to find out about that features.

2. GHNS:

That is an other very common questions in comment posts to reviews or
yesterday in #kde.

"I tried to install a applet with the "get new applets from internet"
function. It says installed but I can not find it"

I know you are aware of this problem. But this not working downalods which are
saying installed anyway make a bad first impression. It shows all this nice
applets, you try to install them and it just doesn't work.

Would it be possible to get in contact with the kde-apps.org people and work
togethter with them to remove those non working binary/c++ source loading
applets from the ghns "feed" for install applets?

Answering the users: "Well that feature doesn't work yet,  go to kde-apps.org
download the source there, compile it and install it on your own and don'T
forget to run kbuildsyscoca4  or look out for packages for your distro for
theses applets" is no real fun and is somehow a disappointement to those
users.

Will there be a fix in the timeframe of kde 4.1 if not it may be the best to
disable that feature for 4.1.1?

Just a few thoughts

DanielW