libplasma in 4.2: binary compatibility and moving to kdelibs

Rafael Fernández López ereslibre at kde.org
Wed Jul 30 12:54:15 CEST 2008

Hi,

> moving libplasma into kdelibs was a goal we stated for 4.2 back when
> figuring out what 4.1 would be. i'd like to see this happen still as it
> would allow more applications to use libplasma in more interesting ways.

I find this a very interesting point. We need to be "sure" that no binary
break will be needed. However, before moving to kdelibs we can add
virtual_hooks wherever is necessary, to cover our backs.

> ConfigXml really ought to be in libkdeui alongside KConfigSkeleton imho.
> (kdeui because it uses QColor; perhaps we could manage to shove it into
> kdecore using QVariant cleverly? hm.)

Yes, I have seen this before. Sure QVariant can save you there. It is a great
way of not depending on kdeui, just living on kdecore but having some
information from kdeui (not explicitly). Then you can cast back again whenever
is necessary. Is a nice trick.

Regards,
Rafael Fernández López.