Folderview mimetype support (revisited)

Michael Rudolph michael.rudolph at gmail.com
Tue Jul 22 12:50:16 CEST 2008

On Tuesday 22 July 2008 19:56:48 Rafael Fernández López wrote:
> "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo at kde.org> wrote:
> > this is easy: only fill in the fields you care about.
>
> Hmm, I am not that sure. The mime type list is a huge list. It might
> happen that you have selected some random item in the middle of the
> list that you can't see at a first sight (you need to scroll the
> whole list view to look if some item is selected, and deselect it).
>
> > what are the use scenarios for mixing inclusive and exlusive
> > filters?
>
> "Show all mimetype PDF which filename doesn't contain 'university'".
>
> >>  From my point of view, the option "No filtering" is still
> >> necessary
> >
> > which is why i included it in my proposal.
>
> Yes.
>

> Regards,
> Rafael Fernández López.

Hi Rafael,

I share Aaron's concerns regarding an overcomplication of the interface.

I hope I don't miss anything important, but:
Wouldn't an efficient and elegant interface contain only two options?
Firstly the default: "Show all files" and secondly: "Show only a subset
of files". The second option then contains a lineedit in which a user
can write his filtering criteria. Below the lineedit you present one or
two examples of how a filter is constructed:
Show only PDF files, that do not contain "university" in the filename ->
isType:PDF !university
A tooltip is needed to provide the user with a short introduction to the
syntax (see Amarok's OSD creator). Furthermore this filter needs to be
available throughout the desktop experience, i.e. dolphin should honor
the syntax too.

I think this would be a visually minimal interface that scales well with
various experience levels of users.

Just my two cents.

michael