More DataEngines questions

Luca Beltrame einar at heavensinferno.net
Tue Dec 30 20:49:40 CET 2008

Hello,

I've been hacking a bit and, using the pytime DataEngine as an example,
successfully built a "dummy" Python DataEngine that fetches records from NCBI
on a hard-coded query and sets data correctly. I admit it was surprisingly
easy to set up.

Although my knowledge of C++ is zero, I have been reading some of the API and
the tutorials on TechBase, to tackle the next big question: how to make the
source retrieval dependent on an "external" input, e.g. that would come from
the future applet interface.

Let's make an example to make things clearer. A user may want to search for
the term "foo", and another for the term "bar", and of course, they would get
different results. How can I make the DataEngine aware that the query
parameter should be "foo" in one case, and "bar" in the other?

I have been reading the description of DataContainer to see (as per previous
suggestion) about subclassing it, but I still didn't find very clear *if* the
thing I'm looking for is doable with the current API.

Apologies for the message if it's somewhat stupid (I admit I don't have a big
programming experience - all my past work has been, with few exceptions,
confined to file manipulation).