Q: Installing python DataEngine?

Richard Dale richard.j.dale at gmail.com
Fri Dec 19 12:01:48 CET 2008

2008/12/18 D. R. Evans <doc.evans at gmail.com>

> Richard Dale said the following at 12/18/2008 04:20 AM :

> >> then
> >>
> >> if it's a properly formed package directory:
> >>
> >> plasmapkg -i -type dataengine <path to dir containing package>
> >>

> As I discovered, the above should be:
>
> plasmapkg -type dataengine -i <path to dir containing package>
>
> But even with what I think is the right command, I get:
>
> [HN:solar-flux-data-engine] plasmapkg -type dataengine -i .
> Installation of /home/n7dr/plasma/solar-flux-data-engine failed.
> [HN:solar-flux-data-engine]
>
> 1. How do I go about figuring out why this failed? There doesn't seem to be
> a verbose option to plasmapkg.

I would try installing the example python data engine first in
kdebase/workspace/plasma/scriptengines/python/test, then that would confirm
any problems were with your data engine in particular.

When I run the command I get a pile of debugging output like this:

mardigras rdale 175%
ls
plasma-applet-pyclock
plasma-dataengine-pytime
mardigras rdale 176%
pwd
/home/rdale/kde/src/4/kdebase/workspace/plasma/scriptengines/python/test

mardigras rdale 177% plasmapkg --install plasma-dataengine-pytime --type
dataengine

plasmapkg(313)/kdecore (kdelibs) KTempDir::create: KTempDir: Temporary
directory created :
"/tmp/kde-rdale/plasmapkguHfOBA/"
plasmapkg(313)/kdecore (KSycoca) KSycocaPrivate::openDatabase: Trying to
open ksycoca from
"/var/tmp/kdecache-rdale/ksycoca4"
plasmapkg(313)/kio (Slave) KIO::Slave::createSlave: createSlave "file" for
KUrl("file:///home/rdale/.kde/share/apps/plasma/dataengines//plasma-dataengine-pytime")

plasmapkg(313)/kio (KIOConnection) KIO::ConnectionServer::listenForRemote:
Listening on
"local:/tmp/ksocket-rdale/plasmapkgXMT313.slave-socket"
plasmapkg(313)/kio (KIOJob) KIO::SlaveInterface::dispatch: error  111
"/home/rdale/.kde/share/apps/plasma/dataengines//plasma-dataengine-pytime"

plasmapkg(313)/kio (Slave) KIO::Slave::createSlave: createSlave "file" for
KUrl("file:///home/rdale/kde/src/4/kdebase/workspace/plasma/scriptengines/python/test/plasma-dataengine-pytime/contents")
plasmapkg(313)/kio (KIOConnection) KIO::ConnectionServer::listenForRemote:
Listening on  "local:/tmp/ksocket-rdale/plasmapkgSLh313.slave-socket"
plasmapkg(313)/kio (Slave) KIO::Slave::createSlave: createSlave "file" for
KUrl("file:///home/rdale/kde/src/4/kdebase/workspace/plasma/scriptengines/python/test/plasma-dataengine-pytime/.svn/prop-base")
plasmapkg(313)/kio (KIOConnection) KIO::ConnectionServer::listenForRemote:
Listening on  "local:/tmp/ksocket-rdale/plasmapkgknn313.slave-socket"
plasmapkg(313)/kio (Slave) KIO::Slave::createSlave: createSlave "file" for
KUrl("file:///home/rdale/kde/src/4/kdebase/workspace/plasma/scriptengines/python/test/plasma-dataengine-pytime/.svn/text-base")
plasmapkg(313)/kio (KIOConnection) KIO::ConnectionServer::listenForRemote:
Listening on  "local:/tmp/ksocket-rdale/plasmapkgZTi313.slave-socket"
plasmapkg(313)/kdecore (kdelibs) KTempDir::removeDir:
"/tmp/kde-rdale/plasmapkguHfOBA/"
Successfully installed
/home/rdale/kde/src/4/kdebase/workspace/plasma/scriptengines/python/test/plasma-dataengine-pytime

I run plasmapkg in the directory above the one that has the metadata.desktop
file in it as above.

> I'm sorry to be a pain and asking so many questions. In 35 years of writing
> code, I've never been in a position of having so little pertinent
> documentation readily available :-( I'm just not used to operating in this
> kind of environment.

That's no problem at all - this kind of feedback is really welcome. I only
got the scripting data engine installation and loading working about 4-5
weeks ago with a ruby data engine, and I'm keen that we can confirm that it
works with python too.

If you can get it working and then perhaps write it up on the Tech Base
wiki, then the next person coming along will find it a bit easier. As we
build up a critical mass of users that can help each other and add to the
documentation, it will get more and more straightforward. It just happens
that at the moment we are stage at the initial stage of 'bootstrapping' the
Plasma scripting community.

-- Richard