Q: Installing python DataEngine?

D. R. Evans doc.evans at gmail.com
Fri Dec 19 00:47:06 CET 2008

Richard Dale said the following at 12/18/2008 04:20 AM :
> 2008/12/18 Aaron J. Seigo <aseigo at kde.org>
>
>> On Wednesday 17 December 2008, D. R. Evans wrote:
>>> I have a .desktop file and main.py file for a simple DataEngine. How do I
>>> go about actually installing the DataEngine into the system? (So I can
>> then
>>
>> if it's a properly formed package directory:
>>
>> plasmapkg -i -type dataengine <path to dir containing package>

As I discovered, the above should be:

plasmapkg -type dataengine -i <path to dir containing package>

But even with what I think is the right command, I get:

[HN:solar-flux-data-engine] plasmapkg -type dataengine -i .
Installation of /home/n7dr/plasma/solar-flux-data-engine failed.
[HN:solar-flux-data-engine]

1. How do I go about figuring out why this failed? There doesn't seem to be
a verbose option to plasmapkg.

2. And what is this command expecting to find in the directory anyway?

I'm sorry to be a pain and asking so many questions. In 35 years of writing
code, I've never been in a position of having so little pertinent
documentation readily available :-( I'm just not used to operating in this
kind of environment.

  Doc