Large memory leak in plasma

Thomas Fjellstrom tfjellstrom at strangesoft.net
Thu Dec 18 22:58:18 CET 2008

On December 18, 2008, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Thursday 18 December 2008, Thomas Fjellstrom wrote:
> > I have no idea whats causing it.
>
> you and the rest of the people reporting it. ;)
>
> > If it helps, I'm using the latest nvidia binary driver
>
> define "latest"

Latest beta.

> > While writing this message, its upped to 129MB after switching some
> > desktops with the pager, and moving the folderview around a little.
>
> can you watch the memory usage as you do these things and try and pin it
> down to exactly what triggers it? e.g. try moving the folderview and see if
> that affects things; but ONLY move the folderview. dont switch desktops,
> give focus to windows, etc. as that will trigger chages in the pager and
> tasks widget.
>
> then try switching desktops with the pager ... swapping widows, etc...
>
> having an xrestop running in an always-on-top, on-all-desktops konsole
> window can make this all a bit easier to do.
>
> until we track down *some* culprit, it's pretty difficult to start working
> towards a fix.

So far as I said, switching desktops and moving a folderview around made it
grow, but regular use (I mostly use the task bars, and the notifier likes to
pop up a lot) causes the same growth.

> oh, and does this happen if you use the open source driver?

Don't know, using the opensource driver makes my 8800GTS fairly useless. I can
test it out for a while.. but seems to me if it was a driver leak, it wouldn't
show up as owned by plasma, instead it'd just make X's virt-mem usage
increase.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom
tfjellstrom at strangesoft.net