Large memory leak in plasma

Thomas Fjellstrom tfjellstrom at strangesoft.net
Thu Dec 18 21:03:04 CET 2008

I've been reporting this fairly often as of late, pretty much every time my X
starts acting funny because its ran out of pixmaps. Upgrading to 4G ram only
delayed it a day or so.

Checking xrestop after restarting plasma an hour or so ago gives me:
1c00000    29    1    0  589  670   125500K     16K 125516K 20235 Qt-
subapplication

125MB of pixmaps for being up an hour. Last night I had to restart X due to
plasma eating over 1.3G of pixmaps and X consuming a couple GB of ram.

I have no idea whats causing it.

If it helps, I'm using the latest nvidia binary driver with TwinView on two
1600x1200 monitors.

I don't have a bunch of plasmoids open, just a couple task bars, a task tray,
a couple launchers, the kate menu plasmoid, a pager, and the k menu. Oh and
one single folder view.

While writing this message, its upped to 129MB after switching some desktops
with the pager, and moving the folderview around a little.

top shows:
20235 moose     20   0  399m 111m  24m S    1  2.7   0:37.41 plasma
which to me seems a litte high for just starting it an hour ago and having
very few widgets loaded.

If there is some way I can help find the source of the leak, please let me
know.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom
tfjellstrom at strangesoft.net