Moving plasma themes to kdeartworks

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Tue Dec 16 18:52:41 CET 2008

On Tuesday 16 December 2008, Davide Bettio wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I think that kdeartworks is the right place for plasma themes:
> 1) themes are artworks

and plasma themes are plasma addons. *shrug* i'm not sure what is more
annoying:

* having plasma artwork with the rest of plasma addons, so when you grab the
addons you also have to pull down the art but when you grab the artwork
package you don't get any plasma stuff

* having to also grab kdeartwork to get plasma stuff, meaning we're now up to
four modules one must track (kdelibs, kdebase-workspace, kdeplasma-addons and
kdeartwork)

i think it does make thematic sense to have them in artwork as that's where
the extra wallpapers, icons, etc. are.

it may also make other apps feel like desktoptheme is less plasma specific and
more available to any KDE app. maybe the default desktoptheme should move to
kdebase-runtime even; now that the lib is in kdelibs, and it relies on a theme
being available to it, it doesn't make sense to have the desktoptheme in
workspace.

> 2) we'll be able to add more themes without increasing the size of
> kdeplasma-addons.

that's a non-issue, really. the size will go somewhere, after all. if anything
else, now people need to download even more stuff they may not care about to
get plasma themes.

humru othro a kohnu se