A usable plasma desktop

Steven steven099 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 15 04:42:45 CET 2008

You misunderstood me and insulted me when I was simply making a suggestion
and looking for feedback. This is why many users feel alienated. My point
was that the reliance of the folder view on the traditional file system is a
hindrance, and that a second system, based on activities and logical
groupings might be better. My suggestion that this structure reside in  the
Desktop directory, and that it be browsable with a file manager is simply
for interoperability with other desktop environments. Any method of
smoothing migration to (and from) KDE4 would be good idea, as well as not
breaking standards that, while outdated, are still being followed by the
majority of other DE's.

I also would like you feedback on the other parts of my suggestion, which
would allow better interaction with the more liberal and logical structure
I'm suggesting.

If I'm way off, that I ask that you suggest something else, as, at the
moment, there are unresolved useability bugs that need attention, as
evidenced by the number of people looking forward to the folder view desktop
as an alternative to the plasma desktop.

My reply was originally going to be dripping with sarcasm as a retort to
your rudeness. However, as that would have done little to futher
constructive discussion, I chose not to. Please try to do the same yourself,
and not alienate your users.