A usable plasma desktop

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Mon Dec 15 03:43:51 CET 2008

On Sunday 14 December 2008, Steven wrote:
> What I propose as a possible solution to the Desktop problem is a symbolic
> desktop file structure that resides in the Desktop folder.

right, so instead of having a Desktop folder, we should have a Desktop folder
full of standardized shit and people should use that.

forget the idea that people don't care about folder structures and are trying
to get *different* specific tasks with *similar* internal structures done. (i
leave it as an exercise to the reader to understand why a single hierarchy on
disk thus fails)

forget the idea that files and folders can not be mapped to the user's POV in a
single hierarchy.

forget the idea that not all things ARE files but should be equal to them.

forget the idea that files and icons are not the point of a primary interface
at all but an ancillary concept to support the primary concept of working on
projects, tasks and with other people.

"commitment to a usable plasma" indeed.

humru othro a kohnu se