autoscroll in kickoff

Celeste Lyn Paul cpaul at user-centereddesign.com
Sun Dec 14 16:32:06 CET 2008

On Sunday 14 December 2008 10:05:21 Alex Merry wrote:
> On Saturday 13 December 2008 17:40:41 András Kéri wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm relatively new to KDE, and I would like to contribute, if I could.
> > As a first try I made a patch which allows automatic scroll in
> > application tab of kickoff, because it's really hard to navigate in long
> > lists without a mouse wheel. I don't know whether such an automatic
> > scrolling suits in to the usability concept.
>
> I don't know what people think about this from a usability point of view,
> but I don't think it can go in until trunk is unfrozen for 4.3, since it's
> a feature.

Autoscroll is one of those things the usability people can't agree on.  Half
of us love it (maybe because it is a new/flashy sort of functionality that can
be provided on the web and it sounded like a good idea at the time), and the
other half of us hate it because it takes the control away from the user.

Personally, I find it annoying, but I can definitely see a benefit for it in
Kickoff (but perhaps we should fix the fact that people have to scroll at
all..), and it also seems like a feature that our core user base would enjoy.

Anyone know Flash or another UI prototyping tool?  We could put the two
designs in front of some people and see how they react.

--
Celeste Lyn Paul, M.S.
Senior Interaction Architect