Review Request: Make folderview follow some guidelines

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Mon Dec 15 03:28:52 CET 2008

On Sunday 14 December 2008, Fredrik Höglund wrote:
> On Sunday 14 December 2008 17:09, Celeste Lyn Paul wrote:
> > On Sunday 14 December 2008 10:34:22 Artur Souza (MoRpHeUz) wrote:
> > > Hey!

> > > That's why we are discussing this here and didnt commit
> > > anything...from aseigo's point of view it shouldnt never create
> > > automatically the folder thus making the warning useless.
> >
> > Because he doesn't want to promote the use of the Desktop folder?
> > Personally, I agree and strongly dislike the use of the Desktop folder,
> > but it is still part of the xdg folder spec isnt' it?  I think it is a
> > better idea to actively support it than allow users to configure it

er,... that's what we do: if the $DESKTOP path exists, as per xdg bullshit
spec compliance, we respect it. if we're dealing with an OS with a forebrain
then we respect that and don't force the $DESKTOP brain damage upon that poor
user.

> While slightly off-topic in the discussion, I think it's important that
> when we want to change cross desktop standards that we do this in
> collaboration with the other desktops,

yes, this needs to be taken to xdg.

> and don't unilaterally start
> ignoring standards we've helped create, but now decided that we don't like
> anymore.

honestly, i'm not sure what the provenane of that spec is. fd.o is
fundamentally BROKEN in this manner, but i do know that i never supported that
craptastic spec.

> If we don't do that then we end up creating problems for users and ISV's
> alike.
>
> An example of such a problem in this case is that Firefox saves all
> downloaded files in the desktop folder by default. If we deny users access
> to it, then they won't be able to find those files.

which belong in Downloads, not Desktop. poluting that folder with anything
that isn't *desktop* oriented is so amazingly stupid that i sometimes wonder
when software developers stopped thinking and just gave themselves up to
punching in lines of code.

which is to say we need to communicate, albeit more politely ;) , to the
Firefox developers that they need to be putting their downloads elsewhere.

humru othro a kohnu se