autoscroll in kickoff

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Sat Dec 13 22:17:10 CET 2008

On Saturday 13 December 2008, András Kéri wrote:
> I'm relatively new to KDE, and I would like to contribute, if I could.

welcome to kde =)

> As a first try I made a patch which allows automatic scroll in
> application tab of kickoff, because it's really hard to navigate in long
> lists without a mouse wheel. I don't know whether such an automatic
> scrolling suits in to the usability concept.

i like it...

the patch itself needs some cleaning up as it doesn't follow the coding
style[1]; i know that kickoff isn't the cleanest code in that regard, but we
try and clean it up as we go =)

two things i notice about the actual functionality:

* this should be done for all the views, not just the FlipScroll but all
UrlItemView

* it doesn't scroll to the very top with the last item, so the scroll bar
isn't all the way to the top (which would show the header as well). this is a
bit disorienting as it isn't where you start (which is at the very top) and it
leaves me wondering "is there more?" (even though rationally, looking at the
code, i know there isn't .. people are odd creatures ;)

* is it necessary to use a QTimeLine there, or would a simple QTimer work just
as well?

so .. yes, a little more polishing, but this should certainly go in for 4.3 =)

[1] http://techbase.kde.org/Policies/Kdelibs_Coding_Style

humru othro a kohnu se