multi-screen fixathon

Hans Chen hanswchen at gmail.com
Tue Dec 9 00:06:23 CET 2008

I just tried to zoom in/out again and noticed the following thing:
- Zooming in on the right (main) screen worked fine.
- I couldn't change activity on the left screen. If I zoom in from the left
screen I just get the same containments again on both screens. If I use the
right screen in the ZUI only the right containment changes.

> > Shouldn't the two containment be handled as one activity?
>
> an Activity *is* a Containment (+ some context, such as the name) so
that's a nonsequitor.

I realized this was a bad explanation, I'll try to explain it again:

*Problem*
When you zoom in, how do you know which activity you'll get on the other
screen(s)?

*Solution A
*Make the activities independent; when you zoom out only one screen will
zoom out, and you're free to choose whatever activity you want on that
screen. The activity on the other screen(s) are unchanged.

*Solution B*
The activities are "connected", this is what I meant with "as one activity".
Let's say you have activity A, B, C and D. If you zoom in to A or B  you'll
get [A][B], regardless which screen you use to zoom in (and vice verse for C
and D -> [C][D]).

*Other solutions?*

I still haven't  figured out how Plasma handles the issue. You can switch to
all activities on all screens, but the "zooming out on both screens"
suggests that the activities are connected somehow. Take a look at the
following picture: zui.png<http://hanswchen.files.wordpress.com/2008/12/zui.png>
Are they connected or not? If I zoom in to Activity 1 on the right screen,
which activity should I get on my left screen?

Now look at the KWin effect Desktop Grid:
desktopgrid.png<http://hanswchen.files.wordpress.com/2008/12/desktopgrid.png>
It's clear that Solution B is used here. The virtual desktops are connected
and you can clearly see what will occur on the other screen.

(During a period KWin had a different layout:
[Left 1][Right 1] [Left 2][Right 2]
[Left 3][Right 3] [Left 4][Right 4]

(Left/Right = screen, number = virtual desktop)
but it was bad in various ways. Seems the KWin devs thought so too =)