Review Request: Add textbox to calendar to copy paste current date

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Thu Dec 4 19:15:53 CET 2008

On Thursday 04 December 2008, asraniel wrote:
> Am Donnerstag 04 Dezember 2008 18.25:57 schrieb Aaron J. Seigo:
> > On Thursday 04 December 2008, Beat Wolf wrote:
> > > This patch brings back the possibility to copy paste the current
> > > selected date out of the calendar. I also had to adapt the scaling,
> > > because the textbox uses vertical space, so the calendar had to use
> > > more horizontal space. If you resize the calendar really badly, you
> > > will see something like in the second screenshot. But this can't be
> > > fixed before 4.3.
> >
> > why can't this be fixed before 4.3?
>
> We had a discussion in irc, and it seemed like this won't really be
> possible, because it introduces too many changes to how the calendar is
> rendered. Currently the numbers are pictures, worse, the background boxes
> are the same image as the numbers. So this is really bad.
> What would be needed:
> changing the calendar svg theme
> rendering the numbers directly as text.

so let's make this clear: it will be harder to change this *after* 4.2 once we
ship a theme with the calendar.svg as is.

anyways ... fixing the number painting can't be difficult: just position them at
(box.width() - number.width()) /2. it means more calculations and painting
ops, but i doubt it will make a meaningful performance issue.

can an artist get me an svg with the numbers separate from the background?

> > unfortunately this looks fairly ugly, even if it is useful. one solution
> > would be to bring back some other missing bits such as the "go to today"
> > button and week selector (the layout at the bottom could also likely be
> > tweaked with some spacing to make it look good on REALLY wide calendars)
>
> pinhero said he wanted to redo the whole layout, but again, for 4.3.
> So in the end i decided that the patch is probably a good start, since in
> it's current state, the calendar is really bad...

"really bad" as in "lacks a feature previously there". while in the mythical
land of kde those phrases are often used interchangeably, they aren't
synonymous.

* how many people use that feature?
* is putting in something half-assed worse than doing it right later?
* can we put something proper in before then?

those are the key questions to determine if "lacks a feature" means "really
bad".

> But if wanted i can add the "go to today" button and the week selector,
> should be quite easy (well, the week selector needs a new string probably,
> but can be done without a new one, just the numbers)

hm. we should hold off on the week selector in that case. but certainly add the
go to today button and certainly figure out how to do it so that the text line
doesn't stretch out to be a 500px wide ocean of whiteness when the calendar
expands.

perhaps not painting the text edit's background and setting the text colour to
white would be sensible, as would centering it beneath the calendar.

humru othro a kohnu se