Questions about the toolbox & panels

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Wed Dec 3 21:05:44 CET 2008

On Wednesday 03 December 2008, Jesse L. Zamora wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I've been trying to fix up the toolbox. Here are some of the objectives I
> have:
>  - Never go BEHIND a panel. Instead, make the panel act like a screen edge,
> so the toolbox will just stick to the edge of the panel.
>  - When the user clicks on the toolbox, the popup must avoid the panel at
> all costs so the options are visible to the user.
>  - If a panel has a space to either side of itself which is large enough to
> fit the toolbox, let the toolbox go into there.
>
> How can I let the toolbox know where the panels are? Are there any
> functions that can possibly return a QRect or something for each panel
> instance that I can access? For example, in kdelibs/plasma/toolbox.cpp, I
> would call such a function so the toolbox can be dragged into the correct
> position.

it did attempt to do something like that in the past, from the available
desktop rect (that excludes panels) did not work really well, because it's not
really possible to have really reliable informations about the geometry of
panels on screen

one of the reasons the toolbox is draggable freely around now.