Questions about the toolbox & panels

Jesse L. Zamora xtremek2008 at aim.com
Wed Dec 3 20:45:26 CET 2008

Hello all,

I've been trying to fix up the toolbox. Here are some of the objectives I
have:
 - Never go BEHIND a panel. Instead, make the panel act like a screen edge, so
the toolbox will just stick to the edge of the panel.
 - When the user clicks on the toolbox, the popup must avoid the panel at all
costs so the options are visible to the user.
 - If a panel has a space to either side of itself which is large enough to
fit the toolbox, let the toolbox go into there.

How can I let the toolbox know where the panels are? Are there any functions
that can possibly return a QRect or something for each panel instance that I
can access? For example, in kdelibs/plasma/toolbox.cpp, I would call such a
function so the toolbox can be dragged into the correct position.

Do you have any suggestions for actions or rules for moving the toolbox?

Thanks,
Xtreme Kommander