tasks widget hacking

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Tue Dec 2 07:37:13 CET 2008

hi...

i'd like to have a tasks widget hacking day.

the reason for this i that the code is something of a mess internally and imho
it's unmaintainable in its current state. i say this because changing little
things in one place often create rather unexpected results; there's a good
amount of unreachable code; there's what looks to be some pretty obvious
memory leaks (e.g. Tasks::m_groupTaskItems never seems to have items removed
from it!); Tasks does bookkeeping, but for only some things, and this
bookkeeping is controlled from Tasks, LayoutWidget *and* TaskGroupItem!

there are bugs that sometimes results in "holes" showing up in the layout,
grouping not working reliably on start up and more.

if we ship with it like this, we will hate ourselves later.

unfortunately, i'm not particularly sure what all the reasons and rationals
are for some of the code decisions.

so if you have been working on the tasks widget in the last month or two,
please respond in this thread with when would be a good time and day for you
so we can get together on irc and sort this thing out. =)

humru othro a kohnu se