Activities interaction

Jamboarder jamboarder at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 1 22:05:04 CET 2008

> From: Aaron J. Seigo <aseigo at kde.org>
> On Monday 01 December 2008, Jamboarder wrote:
> > The primary function of "Zoom Out", at least in desktop's current form,
> > seems to be to show available activities.  Once there, you can choose to
> > select a different activity, add activities, remove activities, etc.
> > Perhaps "Show Activities" or "Activities" might communicate what "Zoom Out"
> > is used for.  (If we get to the point where we have semantic zooming in
> > place, then perhaps we will define what each of the next levels/thresholds
> > are).
>
> yes, zooming is a bit "interface follows implementation" which isn't the best.
>
> the question is: what does "Zoom In" become? Select Activity?

Yeah, I was thinking about and "Select Activity" is about the best I could come up with as well.

Although, if the "activity browsing" interaction in this Show Activities/zoomed out mode was something other than click-and-drag then we could select activities based on system-wide selection setting (single-click or double-click).  This would imply a relatively traditional browsing and selection mechanism in the Show Activities/Zoomed out mode, similar to say the icon view in Dolphin (which would also allow the use of the keyboard as well).  There might be a slight transition problem though with the shift from the in-activity selection mechanism to this extra-activity selection mechanism...  Just thinking out loud..

Andrew