Activities interaction

Jamboarder jamboarder at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 1 20:46:34 CET 2008

Just wondering if there might be any value in coming up with other wording for "Zoom Out".

The primary function of "Zoom Out", at least in desktop's current form, seems to be to show available activities.  Once there, you can choose to select a different activity, add activities, remove activities, etc.  Perhaps "Show Activities" or "Activities" might communicate what "Zoom Out" is used for.  (If we get to the point where we have semantic zooming in place, then perhaps we will define what each of the next levels/thresholds are).

It might help disambiguate zooming-out-the-desktop (showing activities) with similar zoom-out-style kwin features, even when we're able to pair virtual desktops with activities. It might also help shake loose ideas for UI paradigms if we're able to focus less on the mechanism (zooming) and more on the workflow: e.g. What UI ideas would best allow the user to see available activities (or whatever)? Zooming might be one answer. The Activity (Switcher) plasmoid might be another (for activities).  Perhaps there are others?...

Quick observation: For actions that are not specific to an activity, such as "Add Activity", "Remove Activity", etc., perhaps those don't belong in the zoomed-out toolbox of every activity but instead in a single toolbox when all activities are shown.  I recall Marco was just recently hacking on this stuff and was having a little trouble with space.

Just a few random thoughts I thought I'd write down before they wander off.  Hope this helps.

peace and respect,
Andrew (Jamboarder) Lake