plasma/kdelibs coding style and pointers

Gerhard Gappmeier gerhard.gappmeier at ascolab.com
Sun Aug 31 19:08:42 CEST 2008

Hi Jason,

in my opinion this is correct
and that's the way I'm coding :-)

Putting the asterisk to the variable is the correct way
to use because it doesn't lead to misunderstanding
and it's the way the compiler interprets it
e.g.

Wrong:
QString* pVar1, pVar2;  // second var is no pointer from the compiler's point
of view

Correct:
QString *pVar1, *pVar2;

Defining a return type like in your function is a different thing.
The asterisk belongs to the type and not to the function.
e.g. QString* foo();

In my opinion the first line in your samples are correct.

--
mit freundlichen Grüßen / best regards

Gerhard Gappmeier
ascolab GmbH - automation systems communication laboratory
Tel.: +49 9131 691 123
Fax:  +49 9131 691 128
Web: http://www.ascolab.com
GPG-Key: http://www.ascolab.com/gpg/gg.asc