Question about C++ vs. Python/Ruby/JS plasmoids

Dan Meltzer parallelgrapefruit at gmail.com
Wed Aug 27 02:52:17 CEST 2008

On Tue, Aug 26, 2008 at 6:18 PM, Paul B <happysmileman at googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday 26 August 2008 23:01:37 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
>> On Tuesday 26 August 2008, Paul B wrote:
>> >
>> > I was considering rewriting the binary clock in Python anyway, since last
>> > time I checked it didn't support true binary, only binary-coded decimal,
>> > and it'd be good practise for making plasmoids, but right now the Python
>> > bindings don't seem to be working?
>>
>> would you be interested in trying out the ecmascript ones?
> I might take a crack at it, but not too sure about my ecmascript skills, right
> now I'm gonna try make a C++ Video Player plasmoid to practise, incidentally
> where can I find the API docs for plasma? api.kde.org says to find them at
> plasma.kde.org, which in turn says they'll be up there when available?

One sort-of related note, you will likely run into a whole lot more
trouble with the video player plasmoid than you would expect.  Phonon
cannot render video on a qgraphicsitem, or even on a
qgraphicsproxywidget, due to some of the trickery it involves.  In
amarok we ended up doing ugly hacks much like the systray does in
order to get video to work.

Dan,