Question about C++ vs. Python/Ruby/JS plasmoids

Paul B happysmileman at googlemail.com
Tue Aug 26 22:07:15 CEST 2008

On Tuesday 26 August 2008 20:45:21 Alex Merry wrote:
> However, kdeplasma-addons is probably a very good place to introduce
more
> scripted plasmoids.  If I was proficient in a scripted language, I'd make
> nowplaying into just such an example.

I was considering rewriting the binary clock in Python anyway, since last time
I checked it didn't support true binary, only binary-coded decimal, and it'd
be good practise for making plasmoids, but right now the Python bindings
don't seem to be working? (I made a C++ patch for it but it was a very ugly
patch, many of the figures used were hard-coded in so it involved changing a
lot of things around to the point were it would have been easier to just re-
write.)

Anyway I'm mainly concerned when I see things like the KTorrent plasmoid (in
SVN along with KTorrent itself) being written in C++, since it's a new
plasmoid, not a core part of KDE and written by a 3rd party, I feel it should
not be running in a way that could bring down the desktop. Has there been
much thought put into getting more 3rd party plasmoids written in scripting
languages, and any possible solutions to the dependency problem?