Question about C++ vs. Python/Ruby/JS plasmoids

Alex Merry kde at randomguy3.me.uk
Tue Aug 26 21:45:21 CEST 2008

On Tuesday 26 August 2008 19:58:52 Paul B wrote:
> Have you thought about switching over the core plasmoids to a scripting
> language? Is there any language that could be used without adding
> additional dependencies to plasma (QtScript?), or if not, do you think it
> would be worthwhile to pick one language and make that a dependency?

The really core plasmoids, as in those in kdebase, include several technically
tricky ones (the worst being the system tray) and some quite complex things
like kicker.  I think that with the dependency issues and the overhead, the
gains of script plasmoids are probably not worth it for these.

However, kdeplasma-addons is probably a very good place to introduce more
scripted plasmoids.  If I was proficient in a scripted language, I'd make
nowplaying into just such an example.

Alex

--
Proud KDE hacker: http://www.kde.org